Friday, April 15, 2005

T-Mobile to Cheapskates: Drop Dead

As many of you know, being a C.A.B. is a full-time job, requiring many many long hours on the road. Well, who doesn't have a mobile phone these days to stay in touch? After my MCI phone went dead (along with much of the company), I did what many penny pinchers did and hit the web looking for the cheapest cell phone plan, eventually landing on Amazon who had a great deal on a Motorola V66 (Nationwide plan, good local coverage, usable in Europe) with more than enough minutes for a few weekday calls and loads of weekend minutes to call the parents (and avoid SBC and Long Distance charges), all for US$19.99 a month. Bonus cheapness: phone was free after rebate.

All was well in CABtown until I got a letter telling me that due to 'improvements' in the T-Mobile voicemail system my phone would not be as usable as it had in the past and I should contact them (611 - a free call!) to get a new phone from their lengthy 'approved' list.

So, taking advantage of some down-time at the local Volvo dealer, I called and asked them what they were going to do for me.

In short: Nothing. Not without buying a new phone. Seems my plan was lower than their threshold for caring about me as a customer. Best part is: if I was a new subscriber I could get any number of spiffy new cell phones, again for free, even with the plan I have now.

Then again, perhaps I should check out their competition. AT&T prepaid wireless looks pretty good, as does AT and T wireless now that they have joined up with Cingular.

Now where is my Best Buy gift card???

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't think GO phones still exist, dude. Sorry....

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stay AWAY from Nextel, that's all I have to add.

Blackberrys are for poseurs (and now that is 2 things).

-r

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

idogcow. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

CrispAds Blog Ads