Tuesday, October 24, 2006

No More A9.com Instant Rewards

[, ]

I have used A9.com for search now and then, usually more when I knew I was going to make some large Amazon purchases in the coming weeks thanks to the 1.57% "Instant Discount", but also because I hate to fall into the 'just Google it" mind-set.

A9.com (Palo Alto)Not too long ago A9 partnered up with Microsoft's Windows Live which struck me as a huge step backward in terms of results (if Wikipedia is almost always the top hit don't you think I would just go there first?) as well as in look and feel (not to mention the whole Windows Live on a Mac using Firefox).

I was wondering how long it would take to regain my discount status and noticed a small blurb on the bottom of the main page, "Retrieve your Bookmarks and Diary entries."

Uh-oh.

"We have discontinued the A9 Instant Reward program, and the A9 Toolbar and personalized services such as history, bookmarks, and diary. To get help uninstalling your A9 Toolbar, visit toolbar.a9.com. We have also discontinued A9 Maps and the A9 Yellow Pages (including BlockViewâ„¢)." Reading between the lines this means everything that made A9.com different and unique has been taken out.

Oddly I just read a Wired article about how even a small niche site on the internet can mean a fair number of page views.

Motley Fool over at MSNBC (another site about to be downsized?) has more info in their story, "Amazon Sinks A9 Amazon.com strips its search engine of local color and personality."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

idogcow. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

CrispAds Blog Ads