Monday, September 15, 2008

the bottom line

For the longest time my plan to stay ahead of the dreaded credit card debt scenario could be summed up in just three simple words, "do not spend." And when I say do not spend, I didn't just mean don't use a credit card, I meant don't spend a dime. This was my mantra for so long, sometimes I am amazed I had as many dates as I did.

Of course this is an easy rule to follow when you are a poor student and an even poorer graduate student - but what happens when you enter the real world and want to buy things, nay need to buy things. Well, for a lot of people, the first credit card is a valuable tool - you can build a credit history which will help with loans for small things like computers and later bigger things like cars and houses. For some however, a little credit can quickly become a dangerous weapon. Not only in sheer dollars owed but in real, long term damage to one's credit history.

This is where Bills.com and their credit counseling help can be a real asset. Not only can they help you weigh your options when you find yourself over your head, but they have pages of information for mortgage rates, insurance and loans.

Lehman Brothers got into a huge pile of debt because they failed to follow some basic rules when it comes to finance, are you so sure you are smarter than a hundred year old world-wide financial institution? I know I am not and I know if I run short of money it will be a great deal more painful than it will be for their employees.

Remember, credit counseling you do yourself may be free, but why not avail yourself of help from professionals. Bills.com can help you find free or low-cost counseling from a number of agencies and public entities.

Check them out if you are in trouble or just want to avoid trouble in the future. the future you save may be your own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

idogcow. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

CrispAds Blog Ads