Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Heavy Metal

Last night I took a laptop home with me on the train. I had started an
Excel file on this machine and rather than find a USB drive or
emailing it to myself, I figured I'd just take the whole thing home.
Besides, I told myself, this way I can work on the train trip home.

Well, I did get some work done but with less room than a US Airways
coach seat and no (real) number pad, let's just say it was an
interesting experiment. Finished up the data entry at home, fired up
the wifi and sent it off, with an estimated 15 minutes left on the
battery. The PowerBook is now sleeping in my bag, no doubt ready to
wake up and tell me it's shutting down due to a low battery.

Can I say I think I understand Apple's push for a longer life battery?
Still not too thrilled by the 'technician required replacement' part,
that just seems like an engineering cop-out. But for people looking to
save a little weight, I see the appeal. There's nothing heavier than a
laptop with a zeroed out battery.

---
Forgive my brevity, this was sent via Newton 2.0 (iPod Touch v1.x)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

idogcow. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

CrispAds Blog Ads