Thursday, September 20, 2007

Should I Make the (Anti)Switch

[Computers, MacOS, Windows, laptop]

Soon I will be without my (on average) trusty work-supplied G4 PowerBook laptop and have started using a Dell (sigh) desktop (slight job change). As such I have been looking into buying something on my own and saw this in today's paper:

Compaq F579 (Refurbished) Notebook Pc,15.4"inch AMD Tuion 64x2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TK-53,Windows®Vista Home Premium.
Hp:
FRYS.com #: 5374688
Great Value Compaq F579WM -Refurbished -90 Days Factory Warranty


  • Microprocessor: 1.7GHz AMD Turion 64x2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TK-53
  • Display:15.4"(1280x800) Wide Screen
  • Memory:1024MB DDR2 Expandable T0 2048MB
  • Hard Drive: 120GB 5400RPM Serial ATA
  • Multimedia Drive: Multi-Format DVD-/+RW Double Layer Drive
  • Conectivity: 56k modem v.90 ,Integrated 10/100 Network card
  • Wireless Connectivity:802.11 b/g
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA) Shared Upto 287MB
  • External Ports: 3 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals from digital cameras to MP3 players
  • 1 VGA, 1 headphone jack, 1 microphone jack
  • 1 ExpressCard/34 slot ,S-Video out
  • Operating System:Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium.

Hp
Price: $ 549.99


Other than the obvious, "It's Not a Mac" and "It's Refurbished" what is the catch? (Windows can always be replaced with something more open-source, right?) I am not looking to out-frag someone, or write the great American novel, just surf wirelessly, edit photos, maybe edit video???

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The catch is if you haven't used Windows in awhile it's still a PITA (I was setting up my grandma's new Dell last Christmas and hating it! Plus use a Dell every day for work) and if you're not used to Linux you might have issues. You're going for price over quality...remember the cockroach argument? You've always known Macs are more expensive... :) I still think my MacBookPro 17" is worth the almost $3K I spent in January...I'm still fighting with trying to get my work Dell to work on wifi at home again, and my experts at Apple who work with Airport networks on Windows all the time can't even figure it out...

I think you still don't have an iPod, otherwise you'd have to wipe your iPod clean & reformat it for use with Windows. It's been several years since you can connect a Mac-formatted iPod to a Windows machine or vice-versa.

If I'd known you were in such dire straits, I might have saved my 17" PowerBook to sell to you cheap, but I already gave it to my brother back in February...sorry! My only "extra" computer right now is the old iMac in the kitchen but I do use that for recipes...

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Windows is a pain but what about this one:

HP Pavilion dv6500t series $600, direct from HP.com

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

idogcow. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

CrispAds Blog Ads