Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The World is My Oyster



Having vacationed twice now in New Orleans and I can put on my official tourist hat and tell you down there it is almost impossible to get a bad meal, regardless of how much or how little you spend. Just be sure your order contains some Gulf oysters. Oysters from the gulf can make a great appetizer. They can also make a great meal in and of themselves. They also are the home to that most mysterious item in your Mother's jewelery box, the pearl. When I was a lad their used to be a big fish tank or bucket full of oysters at our local Weinstocks where you could select your oyster have them open it for you and with a little luck show you just how big of a pearl had grown inside. Never did get to pick one for my Mom and I don't think they even do that sort of thing any more, not that I am sure she would have wanted one then or now.

Ever wonder why oysters grow pearls and not charcoal or diamonds? Well, if you read the Be Oyster Aware website, you'll see there is something else that may be inside your oyster: Vibrio vulnificus bacteria. Sounds scary but relax, once you become Oyster Aware you'll be snacking on them again before you know it. After all, they are an excellent source of zinc, vitamin B-12, and omega-3 fatty acids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

idogcow. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

CrispAds Blog Ads