Thursday, November 29, 2012

Another Blog-Worthy Photo From the Good People on Flickr

Just a quick peek at a picture I starred on Flicker: VERY Expired Polaroid Type 47

Story: I picked up an old Polaroid 900 camera in January 2012. When I examined it, I was surprised to see film in it. The film was labeled Type 47 film, ASA 3000 and it was on exposure #2. The camera was in a Polaroid leather case and had an original receipt of sale in September 1963. I was really excited about trying the film and nervous as well. Only one exposure was used from the roll. I have no idea how old the film was, but I surmise it was probably circa 1970's-- 30 to 40 year old Polaroid roll film! I knew the batteries were dead,but the 900 should work in manual mode. I carefully read the on-line instruction manual to operate the camera. I took exposure #2. I waited 1 minute to develop (normal Type 47 develops in 10 seconds). When I peeled the print off, I got a big black (or rather grey) rectangle. Shutter did not work!?! BUT, I was hopeful-- since I got a black picture, the developer was sort of working! If the developer was not viable, the picture would be all white. Double checked everything and took exposure #3. Again black picture. This is not good. I was wasting the precious film. Not enough light? I hooked an electronic flash to the camera. Took exposure #4. Flash did not trip. *sad face* Shutter was broken... My next idea was going to see if I could transfer the film from the 900 to a working Polaroid 110A. I never ran film in the 110A, but I knew the shutter worked flawlessly. Since I never loaded Polaroid roll film before, I had no idea how it was done. All I knew was there were 2 doors in the back of the roll cameras and two bays in the camera. I put the two cameras on the floor of my closet, closed the door and attempted to do the transfer. I didn't want to disturb things too much and try to keep the film and paper registered. It took a little doing. The paper and film separated a little, but I did my best to register it before I closed the two covers... (mind you this is in the dark, and I have never seen Polaroid roll film before). Now, I am really excited. I tell my family to come and take a picture. Took a meter reading at ASA 3000 and I used the self-timer on the camera to try a family portrait. Exposure #5; pulled the film through the rollers and waited 1 minute again. The suspense was killing me. We stand around the camera, pull the paper, and the picture is mostly white... When I transferred the film, there was this tissue paper stuff that got skewed and found itself between the paper and film. The paper never got any developer... A little discouraged, I decided to try again. Exposure #6; took another exposure and waited another minute. Lo and behold, we got this image from 30-40 year old Polaroid roll film!! The white streak on the bottom right is leftover tissue paper stuff that was not cleared from exposure #5. I still have exposure #7 and #8 to go. Not sure what to take a picture of!?!

from http://flic.kr/p/dviCWU

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

idogcow. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

CrispAds Blog Ads